© Copyright Kirk Rader 2023. All rights reserved.
graph TB browser["Web Browser"] subgraph "Home LAN" huebridge["Philips Hue Bridge(s)"] huedevice["Philips Hue Lights\nand Accessories"] pvhub["PowerView Hub"] pvdevice["Hunter-Douglas Window Coverings"] subgraph nodered["Node-RED"] vue["Vue / Vuetify\nWeb App"] flows["Flows\nhttps://github.com/parasaurolophus/home-automation"] dnssd["@parasaurolophus/nodered-dnssd"] eventsource["@parasaurolophus/nodered-eventsource"] vue <-- "WebSocket" --> flows dnssd --> flows eventsource --> flows end flows -- HTTP --> pvhub flows -- "HTTPS" --> huebridge huebridge -- "SSE" --> eventsource huebridge -- "mDNS" --> dnssd huedevice <-- "Zigbee" --> huebridge pvhub <--> pvdevice click flows "https://github.com/parasaurolophus/home-automation" _blank click dnssd "https://flows.nodered.org/node/@parasaurolophus/node-red-dnssd" _blank click eventsource "https://flows.nodered.org/node/@parasaurolophus/node-red-eventsource" _blank click vue "https://github.com/parasaurolophus/home-automation/tree/main/dashboard" _blank end browser <-- "HTTPS /\nWebSocket" ----> vue
- Entirely self-contained Node-RED based application
- No clouds!!
- No external configuration outside of ~/.node-red/settings.js
- Does require configuration of host running Node-RED and the home LAN router in order to support secure access to the dashboard from outside the home*
- No additional servers or services required other than those provided by the Hue and PowerView hubs
- Consolidated dashboard / web-based UI using
- Requires separate build step after cloning repo from GitHub**
- Time and date based automation
- Turn on and off lights based on local sunrise / sunset
- Use special occasion lighting themes based on date
- Open and close window coverings based on sun's local altitude and azimuth on any given day
*If remote access is not a priority, just leave out the HTTPS related configuration from ~/.node-red/settings.js. Detailed instructions for obtaining and installing certificates and configuring IP reservations and port forwarding on routers are beyond the scope of this web page.